Understanding Network Security
Maximizing Your Business’ Security
Businesses are often so concerned with their day-to-day operations that they forget to invest heavily in network security. Others understand the need for comprehensive network security, but have a lenient strategy in regards to their IT, which can be just as detrimental in the event of a data leak. Understanding what network security entails, as well as the best practices that you can adhere to that will ensure your company’s network is secure from the numerous outside threats looking to infiltrate your network, is essential to keeping your data, and ultimately your business, safe. This consists of regular maintenance including the patching of software systems to seal vulnerabilities, integration of security hardware and software on your network, as well as the regular monitoring of your network traffic to help determine the presence of any abnormalities. These steps produce a comprehensive network security program that will keep unwanted intruders off of your company’s network.
What Can Network Security Protect Your Business From?
Bugs, viruses, and vulnerabilities have all existed since the dawn of computing, but the threats found in today’s technology world vastly outnumber and outperform them.
In part, this is due to how society has grown heavily reliant on the Internet. Here are some of the threats which proper network security can protect your business from:
- Spyware and adware: While not particularly threatening, they can invade your privacy and pave the way for more dangerous infections. Spyware can log your keystrokes, while adware is simply an annoying means to gain profit.
- Phishing and Identity Theft: Hackers will often try to pose as a reputable institution which your business has relations with in an attempt to steal information from you, such as credit card numbers, banking credentials, or passwords. They’ll do this by appearing legitimate through an email or an elaborate, fake website designed to look like the real deal.
- Viruses, Malware, and Exploitation of Vulnerabilities: The goal of a hacker is to infiltrate your data stores and make off with valuable information, or to leave a Trojan backdoor behind for later access at their leisure. Hackers often infect systems with viruses or malware which can either cause damage or allow for remote code execution. These measures take advantage of vulnerabilities found within the code of a piece of software or an operating system, and they can be difficult to remove once they’ve been implanted.
- Ransomware: Encrypts the victim’s files, making them inaccessible, and demands a ransom payment to decrypt them. Ransomware attacks are typically carried out using a Trojan that is disguised as a legitimate file that the user is tricked into downloading or opening when it arrives as an email attachment.
Network Security from Polaris Information Systems
At Polaris, we aim to take preventative measures that keep threats from entering your system in the first place.
This lets you avoid costly maintenance or downtime which might follow a hacking attack. A comprehensive network security solution, like our Unified Threat Management device, keeps threats of all kinds from entering your network and neutralizing those which do. Included in our UTM solution is:
- Firewalls: Firewalls are your first lines of defense against outside threats. A firewall analyzes the traffic and data going to and from your network. Think of it like a virtual bouncer which keeps dangerous entities from entering your network.
- Antivirus Software: If a virus or piece of malware does manage to get through your firewall, it can be neutralized with an enterprise-level antivirus software. An antivirus eliminates threats as quickly as possible while limiting damage done.
- Spam Blocking: Not only is spam annoying and useless, some phishing emails might slip through your defenses. Instead of going directly to your inbox where you might fall for their tricks, it goes to the spam folder, where it can be promptly ignored and deleted.
- Content Filtering: Not all web content is safe for viewing, so it’s important that your team can tell the fake sites from the real ones. Our content filtering solution provides granular, policy-based control to automatically block dangerous and questionable sites (such as Malware and Adult) or unwanted sites (such as streaming media).
Fully Monitored and Maintained
We’ll keep a close eye on your network so you don’t have to.
Keeping an eye on your business’s network access logs can be time-consuming and frustrating, especially when you have so many other responsibilities to handle during your workday. Furthermore, administering critical patches and security updates to your entire network infrastructure can be challenging, to say the least. Security as a Service implements a complete remote monitoring and maintenance solution that’s designed to scan your network for discrepancies and entities that are out of place, and resolve them in an efficient manner. This includes applying the necessary patches and security updates, all so you don’t have to.
Securing your network has to be at the top of your organization’s list of priorities.
Technology is at the center of everything you do, and today, there are far more obstacles to overcome if you want to avoid profit sapping downtime, or worst yet, a ransomware attack that leaves you the choice of losing all of your data or all of your savings. The Internet is filled with thieves, and today, thieves aren’t just after your money, they are after any and all money they can get from anyone that touches your business.
At Polaris, we feature several services designed to keep threats out of your network, reducing downtime, and presenting your staff with a robust and functional IT infrastructure in which to maintain operational efficiency, and keep your business moving forward. Some of the network security services we provide include:
- Monitoring and Management – Most of the problems the average small business has with its technology, don’t have to be problems at all. With us continuously monitoring your network, we will identify and remove any suspicious entities, producing fewer technology problems and substantially reduced downtime.
- Unified Threat Management – For the company that is looking for an enterprise-level upgrade to their network security, the unified threat management platform (UTM) provides an antivirus, firewall, content filter, and a spam blocker to ensure that you have all your bases covered.
- Mobile Device Management – Seemingly every business is going mobile. With our mobile device management solution, we can manage your organization’s mobile device deployments, as well as help you set up a mobile management strategy that includes a bring your own device strategy (BYOD).
- Data Backup and Recovery – Data loss can be a game changer for any business. That’s why it is important to have a strategy in place so that if/when data is lost, that you can get that data back and working for you fast. Our Backup and Disaster Recovery platform provides a multi-cloud deployment to ensure that your data is redundantly protected.
- Training – Our IT professionals can provide systematic training of email, Internet, and mobile best practices. With the knowledge we provide, we can help you build a reliable, security-minded workforce that does more to mitigate problems than create them.